Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Race Home...

The race home begins with yesterday's 9 hour dash. It is hard to drive without seeing mountains. I look up expecting to see something magnificent in the background and what I get is the Texas Panhandle. Not so special after what we have seen.



It was a odd moment entering Texas. I had informally banned myself from the state ever since watching the Errol Morris documentary The Thin Blue Line. We survived our brief journey across with no injuries or arrests.



Is this New Mexico? Texas? Oklahoma? I forget...



Did stop here "briefly". (Michelle I could not find the gift certificate in the mess we call our "mobile home" I am sure it will turn up as we unpack). They screwed up half of the order and the wait ticked past 30 minutes. Never stopping there again...



Resorted to taking surprise photos of Shelly reading. This is the only one she didn't delete (shouldn't have shown her how to do that) and only after my pleading for the sake of the blog.



Funny, she didn't delete any of the retaliation pictures she took of me.



Biggest cross in the Western Hemisphere. Not as impressive as the Wind Turbines we saw about 10 miles later. They are probably planning something bigger soon.



Yeah! Oklahoma. Loved that movie... "Oh what a beautiful morning" (until the children arise...)

1 comment:

  1. Howdy (yes, that's a TX Howdy!) Happy Travelers! So glad to hear you're closer to home ... and there are still four wheels on your wagon (albeit 3 hubcaps!). I was in Lake George today for a few hours with Melissa, Adam and their kids (an unexpected treat as I got away from NYC for the day!) and we were talking about you and this last long trek home. Adam commented 4-1/2 hours from Rochester last night seemed long ... so we can only imagine what 9, or 12 hours is like for y'all.

    (Love the reference to your "mobile home" and no worries on the gift certificate ... you can re-gift it to Dad for on-line orders of candy items he and Mom enjoyed 40 years ago from Stuckey's!)

    I'm still waiting on a total number of states you guys have been in since leaving New York almost 3 weeks ago ... as you grundingly passed through TX, I suspect the number of states is high. Perhaps we want to make a contest to guess the number of states you guys passed through. I'm guessing 17 by next Monday! :)

    Safe remaining travel ... enjoy Mississippi cruise! Give my love to the kids ... and tell them how much I look forward to seeing them soon!

    Love, Aunt Shell

    ReplyDelete